Children and Teens Experimenting with Substances found at Home
According to a recently published article, children and teens are experimenting with substances that are often found in their own homes in order to get high. While parents may be keeping a watch to make sure that illegal drugs and alcohol are not being taken by their children, they may be unaware of the risk to their kids of certain household substances or easily available medications.
In some cases, the ingestion of these substances may be lethal. Experts are concerned that these new “drug trends” among children as young as elementary school students may go undetected by parents.
One such trend involves caffeinated beverages, or drinks that combine alcohol with caffeine. Energy drinks or caffeinated gel strips are often misused by young children who can easily overdose on the quantity of caffeine ingested. Symptoms of caffeine overdose may include heart palpitations, seizures, strokes, or even death.
There has also been an increase in the number of teens using inhalants to get high, especially dust-off, an easily available product normally used to clean dust off computers. The young people who are “huffing” dust-off experience an immediate high that may last for a few seconds to several minutes. The dangerous practice places teens at risk of nausea, nosebleeds, coordination problems, and in some cases has resulted in death. Although 37 states prohibit the sale of products such as dust-off to young people, the items are frequently accessible at home.
A third troubling trend involves teens who attend parties where pills are readily available. The medications which may include painkillers, tranquilizers, and narcotics are often taken from the medicine cabinet at home to share with those attending the party. The mixture of alcohol and medications can have lethal consequences, as well as a high-potential for overdose, addiction, and death.
Source: My Health News Daily